Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Hexie land

And yet... More hexies. I decided to sew a bunch of larger white hexies together as a base for the paper pieced charm pack hexies I made. Well... I forgot how to properly do Y seams, so I fudged it. I've since re watched and pinned this quick and good video on the topic:



There's my layout. I wish it wasn't so late or I didn't have work tomorrow because I want to sew. 

Here's an up close of my not so great Y seam job:

The charm hexies aren't tacked down. I'm going to have to decide what I'm going to do as a border. I think I'm going to make this into a table runner. If I buy another large Hexie pack, I can easily back it with that, but I just realized that it'll be a thousand times easier to trace the shape of the top onto a piece of fabric and batting, cut it out, sew them together (right sides together), and turn it. I'll tack down the little hexies after I've done that because of seam allowances. OMGosh all of the Y seams I have ahead of me though. 

I bet I can finish this thing in no time at all now! Most exciting part? The quilting!!  I can't wait to do that. It'll be fun! I'm going to top stitch around the outside. Then maybe through each hexie. Hm... I love quilting. Oooh I wonder if I can pick up some rainbow variegated thread to do the outer border with.  I'll use white through the hexies. So much fun! I can't wait to work on this again tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment