Friday, June 05, 2015

Coffee Cup Appliqué.

I found this wonderful coffee cup appliqué online!

I created my own little 'hot sleeve' by drawing it on a second copy of the template and cutting it out.



First, I cut out all of the template pieces. I chose my fabrics and took a piece of double sided fusible. I removed only one side of the backing on the fusible and stuck the three pieces of fabric to it and ironed.

As you can see, there's room to make several cups on my 8.5" x 11" piece of fuzed fabrics.



 
Next, I traced and cut out all of the pieces. 6 would fit in each panel. I used a wash away fabric marker. The only issue I encountered was that when it dried completely on the green, I couldn't see it. So for that part, I traced and immediately cut each one before moving on to the next.










All six sets are cut and ready to wash!






Up close:

To wash them, all I did was wet my finger tips and splashed a little water on them. It didn't take much to make the blue go away. Remember to always test your fabric and disappearing marker before starting your actual project.
 


I didn't grab a pic of the next step, but I took the lid template and traced the sewing lines on it. I then removed the backing to the fusible web and stuck it to the cup. I removed the backing from the cup and stuck it to the project and finger pressed them both in place.  The stickiness of the fusible made it so that I didn't have to pin the pieces in place while I sewed the cup lines. Ironing over disappearing ink can sometimes make it not disappear, so be careful! I didn't iron any of these pieces until the blue was washed away. I went with a tone on tone look for the lid and sewed it at a very sloooow speed.



All done with sewing the lines on the lids. Next up, wash away the ink, add the cup sleeve, and iron all of the pieces in place.

 



































Washed:


















 


















Fused and ready for decorative stitching:


Cups are stitched and the rug is ready to be sewn to the batting and back, turned, and edge-stitched:







Here's the back after sewing, turning, and sewing around the edge:



And the front. Please disregard the bit of water. I noticed that I had missed some ink. Luckily it wasn't set in by the iron:


If you have any questions about this project, please feel free to ask! :) 

I did forget to add that the 'background' for the front piece was just a mug rug topper that I had made from some scraps the other day. I really enjoyed this project. I may still try out my echo quilting foot on this one. I enjoy making these rugs to try out different techniques. They are a fantastic way to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment